This beet-based soup is full of delicious and healthy local vegetables and exudes a bright pink color. Traditionally borscht is made with vegetables only, but you can easily add some cubed beef to the pot to make this yummy soup a bit heartier!
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil or butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large beets, peeled and grated
- 3 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 celery stalks, sliced (optional)
- 6 cups vegetable or beef stock
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dill seed
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- ¾ cup sour cream or yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions in oil or butter in a large saucepan for 3 minutes. Add beets, carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock, tomatoes, vinegar, dill seed and salt & pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, covered, until the vegetables are fully tender
Add cabbage and simmer for another 6 minutes. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream in each bowl