This recipe is meant to be a side dish, a sort of hodge-podge. Serve this savoury side with meat of your choice, such as local chicken, pork or beef. You could even throw ground beef right into the mix!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp. butter (or olive oil)
- Small head cauliflower, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 8 oz. mushrooms, cut in half, then into thick slices (Chanterelles are often found in late summer.)
- 1/2 red onion, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cut bacon into small crosswise strips, then cook in large frying pan until quite crisp. Pour off most of bacon fat.
Add butter or olive oil, heat for 1 minute, then add cauliflower and mushrooms and cook over very high heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes more, or until veggies seem nearly done and are starting to brown a bit.
Add parsley and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add 1/4 cup water and cook until water has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Adapted from Yummly.com