This is the perfect meal for Sunday Dinner with the family. Serve up this sweet chicken dish with veggies of your choice and some mashed potatoes to get the full family meal experience.
- 1 whole chicken, cut in 8 pieces
- 2 cups hard cider (try Tideview – available at many markets as well as NSLC)
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 4 tablespoons sunflower or grapeseed oil
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup flour (try Speerville)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt + ground black pepper
Dust the chicken in the flour.
Heat the oil in a large skillet and sear the chicken pieces for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
Transfer the chicken to a medium-sized pot and deglaze the skillet with half of the cider (1 cup). Let it simmer for a minute then add it to the chicken with the rest of the cider, leek, tomatoes and bay leaf.
Slow simmer on low heat, half-covered for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add the cream. If you want the sauce to be thicker, low-boil until the sauce reduces. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Finish with some fresh chopped chives, tarragon, or parsley.
Adapted from thebitehouse.com