- 1 whole chicken (4-6 pounds)
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 bunch thyme, parsley, dill (or a mix), plus 2 tablespoons minced herbs
- 10-12 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups white wine (try a dry white wine like Jost L’Acadie Pinot Grigio) You can also use chicken stock instead of wine.
- Preheat oven to 280F. Rinse chicken and rub liberally with salt, inside and out. Stuff body cavity with garlic and bunched herbs and place in a roasting pan
- Combine minced herbs, sliced carrots, and wine or stock in a mixing bowl and gently pour around the outside of the chicken
- Cook until internal temperature of the chicken rises to 150F, about 3 hours
- Turn temperature up to 400F and cook until internal temperature of the chicken rises to 165F and the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow chicken to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Spoon juices over carrots and chicken to serve
Adapted from Maritime Fresh Cookbook – Elizabeth Bailey